Friday, June 27, 2008

London Walks

While I'm here I'm taking 3 classes, one of which is a 1 credit class entitled, "London Walks". The textbook is basically a travel guide of walking tours. Today some of us attempted the "Westward from the City: Theatre Walk". We spent all afternoon doing it and only made it halfway through! Some highlights: walking along the Thames, seeing Big Ben and the London Eye for the first time (though at a distance), taking touristy-but-much-needed pictures in a Phone Booth...

Me and Lizzy


Fitting as many of us as possible


...and even just walking through the city (or a small portion of it) was so cool.  We saw the Somerset House (an old basically palace built in the late 1700s that royalty liked to use).  I don't know if you can see because it's not that great of a picture, but there are fountains in the back that they turn into a skating rink in the Winter...


...and we also saw the famous "Drury Lane" (which it turns out was a pretty scandalous place for awhile)...

.... we also got stuck in some of the hardest rain I've ever been in. We ran to the tube and by the time we got out at the next stop, it was completely cleared up. And then tonight we went to a play called "The Woman in Black". Uh.. it was okay I guess but I would definitely never recommend it.

Today was fantastic.  I still can't really believe that I'm here!

Updates to follow. FIrst day of class is tomorrow so I'm thinkin it's time for bed.

No comments: