Tuesday, August 5, 2008

BBC Proms

Saturday night was my first (and hopefully not only) experience at a BBC Prom. The BBC Proms are two months of classical concerts every night, every summer. The concerts are at the Royal Albert Hall, just a walk across Hyde Park from us (or a short Tube ride), and also broadcast on the radio. Probably the best thing about these concerts is the availability of cheap tickets: for only £5 ($10), you can get a "standing" ticket in the arena, right in front of the Orchestra (there are also a ton of seated tickets, but of course we, as students, were more than happy to only pay £5).
Program:

Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Vasily Petrenko

Kenneth Hesketh, "Graven Image" (world premiere)
Beethoven, Piano Concerto No. 4 (Paul Lewis- piano)
Rachmaninov, Symphonic Dances


What I thought: 

The Hesketh was really really strange.  I'm not much for modern stuff.
Although the Rachmaninov was probably more exciting and entertaining to watch, my favorite was definitely the Beethoven.  First of all, the piano was unbelievable, and also, I just felt really moved.  It was beautiful.

I love classical music.  And I think I've come to realize I'd rather go to the Symphony than to a West End or Broadway Show.  


Not a super good picture, but this is where I stood/sat (there was enough room to sit on the ground... thank goodness.  two hours is kind of a long time to stand)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the blog Emily! You are so adorable!