Sunday, August 31, 2008

Home Again

After a pretty snazzy trip on the Eurostar (the superfast train that goes from Paris to London across the English Channel aka Chunnel) we got to St. Pancras train station, and I breathed out a sigh of relief, the breath that I had been holding the whole 9 days I was in countries I had zero communication skills in. I felt like I was home.

I got Mom an Oyster Card (Tube Pass) and went on our way- Victoria Line, transfer to Central Line, off on Queensway. We got off at the Tube Station and there were tons and tons of people, tons of policemen, and it was just weird. Not like it used to be.

We walked just around the corner to our hotel, dropped off our stuff, and then I was excited to show Mom the London Centre (well, the outside of it) and how awesome of an area it was to live in. Yet again, more people, more policemen, and lots and lots of garbage on the streets. I reassured Mom over and over again that it was different when I lived there, but still, it was really crowded and gross. Palace Court though was quiet as always.

We walked a little bit through Kensington Gardens and then got a Waffle on Queensway (there aren't just any waffles, these basically taste like donuts and have chocolate, caramel, whatever on top. So good.) I had to do a little last-minute souvenir shopping for my brothers because my shingles kind of messed up my plans for the last part of my time in London, so we did that and went back to the hotel. It was super early, but we were super exhuasted. So, we went to bed.

The next morning was kind of unevenful. We got up early, took the Tube to Victoria train station, and a train to Gatwick airport.

Also, we found out why all the chaos: The SECOND BIGGEST CARNIVAL IN THE WORLD (Rio is #1) is at Notting Hill. That's why it was psycho. Haha

I saw so many cool cities and did so many cool things, but still, I think that London will always hold a special place in my heart.



No comments: