Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Vienna: Day One

All day long I’ve had The Fray’s “Vienna” running through my head, and guess what?? For the first time ever, I’m actually in Vienna while it’s been running through my head. I already love this city. It’s beautiful. The buildings and architecture, the streets, I have such a hard time putting how I feel about all these incredible cities into words. Let’s just say I could wander these streets with just my eyes and my camera for hours.

We were all pretty exhausted today after our exciting train ride, so we decided to take it easy.
  After we dropped off our stuff at the hotel, we took the U-Bahn into town, just walked around Stephanplatz for awhile, 
and then got on a tram that goes around the main part of the city. We rode it all around the circle just to see what there was to see, and then rode it around again but this time got off at certain places.  I love the architecture in Vienna.  The buildings are beautiful.
The big statue/monument-type-thing of Mozart made me really wish Dad was with me. 



After some time in the city, we went back to the hotel to try and solidify what it is we wanted to do. Of course I fell asleep and my friends got distracted by the Olympics for awhile before we headed back out.

For dinner we stopped at a Wurste (pronounced “vurst”) Stand (Wurste are giant sausage-hotdogs). Deeeelicious. Especially because I got a KaiseKreiner (spelling is probably waay off), which has cheese oozing out of the sausage as well.
We threw around a Frisbee for awhile in some grass, and then stopped by the Hofburg Palace (where the Hapsburg Royal Family used to live and now is used for some political thing), where they have free classical music concerts, which are projected outside on a giant screen. It was pretty cool.  
We spent some more time walking around, looking at stuff, and taking pictures.

(Courtesy of Lauren)
This is the main political building now... but I don't know much about Vienna's government or what this building is called!
So, today we basically just messed around. But we messed around in Vienna, which makes all the difference.


1 comment:

Aimee said...

Wow Em. You were in Vienna, were I am going to be living! I believe the place you were taking about where the Hapsburgs used to live is the Hofburg it is now the home of the Austrian President.

And in case you care to know. Its called Schönbrunn not Schonburg. But that's okay.

It sounds like you are having an amazing time. I can't wait to get over there!