Sunday, August 17, 2008

Berlin: Day Two

After a wonderful full night of sleep, we got dressed up, jumped on a bus, and attended church in German. Of course the only German lady that I talked to before church actually started has a daughter living in Gilbert. Go figure. PS I really like to sing in other languages. So fun.
We rushed home from church to pack up and check out of our hotel (thank goodness we got to store our luggage at the hotel so we didn’t have to lug it around all day).

First sight-seeing destination of the day = Brandenburg Gate. Really I don’t know the historical significance, but it was a cool building. 



We ate our lunches of bread and peanut butter (and I might have just spread my peanut butter with my finger…), first under the Brandenburg Gate, but people were looking at us funny.  
So, we moved to the park, which is just so beautiful. 
The rest of the afternoon was spent walking around, and taking the Autobahn and seeing the city.
This is some kind of Holocaust Monument


Look how cool the clouds are!!!  Also, "DB" is the company that does the trains in Germany (at least I think)



A scene of The Bourne Ultimatum takes place at this very spot.  Bourne  tells the Julia Stiles character to get on a tram, just like this: 
Of course we had to get Stephen to take a picture with the "robot"




I don't even know how many times we yelled "Get out of the bike lane!" to Danielle or Lauren.  In Berlin (and in Vienna too), there are SO many bike riders, and they have designated lanes for them on the sidewalks.  There were quite a few close calls.  haha.

What I think about Berlin:
I’m glad that I got the chance to see Berlin, but it would never be one of my favorite cities. Ehhh, I don’t know.

We are currently on a train to Vienna. A night-train, but not in beds. It’s us five in a cabin (that kind of reminds all of us of Harry Potter) with a 27-year-old German guy who works at Gamestop and speaks English.


No comments: