Sunday, July 6, 2008

Eritrean Food

So after my trip to the temple, I went with some friends to what I thought was going to be an Ethiopian restaurant, but was really Eritrean (which is a teeny country right next to Ethiopia, so it was basically Ethiopian food).

This was most definitely the weirdest strangest food I have ever tasted in my life.  They bring out plates of stuff like spinach and lamb, this orange hummous thing, spicy beef stuff, or whatever you ordered, and you don't get utensils.  You get this crepe like bread that tastes a lot like sourdough (from fermentation) but is even more sour.  Then you rip off pieces of it and scoop up the messy food.  Believe me, it was really messy.  Not everyone liked it but it was really fun to try something so different.


AND, for the first time, I got to ride a Double Decker bus to get there and back.  It is definitely a bumpy and jerky ride, and the driver doesn't wait for everyone to sit down before he starts moving.  SO fun.



No comments: