Sunday, July 27, 2008

Oxford

The Saturday before the North trip some friends and I headed over to Oxford.  (I worked super hard on my Shakespeare paper the day before so I could go since it was due that day).  I was a little hesitant to take the time to go to Oxford because I was feeling overwhelmed with all I needed to get done, but I am definitely so glad I decided to go.  Oxford and Cambridge are the same in the aspects that they are both gigantic universities with all the different colleges that have their own buildings and lawns, etc, but the places themselves were pretty different.  Cambridge had more of a smaller town feel, and Oxford was busier and bigger??? I'm not sure exactly, but that was my feeling.  Oxford has incredible history.  It's the oldest English university, and many famous people went to school there.  Also, another bonus is that some of Harry Potter was filmed here.  Haha.  We had a Harry Potter buff with us (Erin) and she kept getting really excited.  We spent almost all of our short time there at Christ Church College (and Cathedral).  THIRTEEN of the Prime Ministers graduated from Christ Church!  

(Probably I don't really remember what building this is, but it's SO cool that I had to put it on here anyway)

Yay for friends!
Christ Church College, with a line in the front for tourists to get in
We got bored in line???? haha
We think that this hallway was used in one of the Harry Potter movies?  Even if not, it's still pretty cool.  Look at the ceiling!
Becky, Lauren (aka Lambwyck), Rachel, and Me!
I'm obsessed with the architecture of these old buildings.  Look how cool this ceiling is! (Still Christ Church College)
The Great Hall of Christ Church College (what the Hogwart's Great Hall is based off).  The students of Christ Church actually still eat here
This is a random picture, but look at the little monster-face thing in the middle, they lined the walls of the Great Hall!?

At Christ Church Cathedral, this cool guy that worked there gave us a tour around and pointed out a lot of interesting things, but unfortunately, I can't really remember any of them. oops...

(A the train station:) It looks like the boys are hard-core about school, but really they are just the slackers of the group, scrambling to finish their papers while waiting for the train

No comments: