Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shopping and Ballet

"Portobello Road, Portobello Road
Street where the riches of ages are sold..."

Does anyone else know that song?  I think it's from Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and I think the guy that sings it is also the dad on Mary Poppins, but don't hold me to that.  Anyway, guess what?!  The Portobello Road is in the neighborhood.  Every Saturday, all the vendors and people come out, and there is so much stuff!  Antiques galore, jewelry, second-hand clothes, fruit, vegetables, pastries.  The road seems to go on forever, and I spent an hour and a half there and didn't even make it very far down.  It was pretty fun.  I bought a necklace that looks really old and cool.  I wish you all could see it.

Next stop: Primark!  Primark is this humungous store on Oxford Street that kind of reminds me of Forever 21 back home, except it's really cheap and I've never seen any place so crowded before.  Almost all the girls here have been coming back with huge bags of clothes, and so I decided it was about time to check it out.  I wasn't disappointed, even with a 30 minute wait to try on clothes.  (Tara, Steph, and Mia, I think you guys would keel over with joy if you ever set foot inside.)

Saturday night was Giselle, a ballet from the Romantic period.  The set was beautiful, the dancing was beautiful, but what I enjoyed most was the music... I miss being in an orchestra. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

dang it! i knew i should have given you shopping money for me. now i just have another reason to go to london

Unknown said...

PS yes the song is from Bedknobs and Broomsticks and yes it is the dad from Mary Poppins