Sunday, July 27, 2008

Yep, we spent the night in a CASTLE

Monday evening we got to Durham, a small city in North-Easternish England.  Durham is home to a huge Norman cathedral and a castle, which we actually stayed in for the night.  We had some time to go to the cathedral, eat dinner, and just wander around.  The city was beautiful, I am so obsessed with old cathedrals, and the weather was perfect.  After our wandering, we got together and told "scary" stories (none of them were very scary... we actually laughed a lot) next to the Cathedral's graveyard.

I think this would be such a great picture if only the stupid lamp-post wasn't in the way. 

See the cathedral in the background? (And also the castle we stayed in, but it's smaller)
I don't remember who this monument is...

Me and Annie
Me and David (the son of Dad's friend from high school and the nephew of the Jolleys in our ward!!!  small world)
The Cathedral, which was a lot older and a lot bigger than most of the ones I've seen so far.  I love love love just spending time wandering through these cathedrals and looking at the architecture and the stained glass.
A bad picture of the entryway of the castle that we stayed in.  I think I need to get some better pictures of it from some of my friends...
And despite all the grandeur and princess dreams of staying in a castle, it looked like this inside.  (But who's complaining, it's still a castle!)  The room Lizzy and I shared was up pretty high (126 stairs high).  It was pretty sweet.


I have to say that the night in the castle was pretty interesting... I had been feeling sick to my stomach all afternoon, and so of course I threw up that night and stayed up until 2 am-ish.  At 5 am, the fire alarm went off and we all evacuated and waited outside for them to tell us it was okay to come back in.  We all were really out of it, and some people (like Annie), even forgot to put shoes on!!  After maybe 20 minutes or so, we went back to bed for a little bit.  So... I started off the trip on not very much sleep which wasn't that great, but fortunately, I didn't throw up anymore and felt pretty good the rest of the time.

No comments: